A great blowout can be your best accessory. Gorgeous, full hair never goes out of style. Our top hairstylists share their do-it-yourself techniques for perfectly voluminous locks.
Before you start styling your at-home blowout, there are a few simple things to keep in mind for professional looking results. If your hair is damaged and fragile with split-ends, revitalize it with a deep conditioning treatment. Healthy, clean hair always looks naturally fuller. If your hair is thinning, stimulate circulation with an invigorating scalp massage. Rub in a nourishing product like Eufora Beautifying Serum for Hair Skin and Scalp.
High humidity can put a damper on voluminous tresses, so do not try to do a blowout in a misty bathroom. Use a quality blow dryer with a volumizing attachment. If you have fine hair, leave the Ionic setting off. Also be sure to start with hair that's just been washed. Some products and natural oils can weigh hair down, making volumizing more difficult. For best results, style a blowout after using a volumizing shampoo and conditioner such as Kevin Murphy Plumping Wash and Rinse or J. Beverly Hills' AddBody Shampoo and Conditioner.
Now that you're prepped, try these 5 steps for the perfect blowout:
1. Begin with a small dollop of hair mousse, like Mousseup, working it into damp hair. For even more volume, you can also treat the roots with a volumizing spray. Since the blowout requires high heat, protect hair from damage with a thermal protecting serum.
2. Using a high setting, begin blow-drying using a volumizing attachment. Dry the roots first and work your fingers through your hair as you dry. For added volume, be sure to alternate going with and against the side you part your hair on. Continue blow-drying until your hair is about 75% dry.
3. Divide your hair into sections. First, clip the top layer of hair up, and divide the bottom layer into individual two-inch sections. Then do the same with the top layer.
4. Grab a round brush and use it to dry the individual sections of hair, rotating the brush underneath as you dry from root to ends. Be sure to gently pull the sections into the brush so there is enough tension to shape the hair. Repeat with each section of hair until your hair is completely dry.
5. Finish off the look with a shine serum like Illuminate and a light mist of hairspray to hold the look.
Practice these stylists' techniques for a volumizing blowout. It's the perfect style to show off healthy hair. If your hair is thin from over-processing or hair loss, volumizing adds mass to otherwise limp hair. Talk to your stylist about the latest professional salon treatments for hair loss and restoration to bring volume to your hair.